Prohormones are a product of initial synthesis and research of steroid compounds in the early 1960s. However, it was in the 1990s that the term prohormones have become popular, and it was all because of Patrick Arnold.
He is a popular bodybuilder with a degree in chemistry at the University of New Haven. He popularized 1-Androstenedione, a precursor steroid also known as Andro. He introduced this prohormone to the United States market in 1996.
Prohormones are compounds made up of anabolic steroids and testosterone boosters. They are called prohormones because they enable the body to produce hormones naturally. Many people, especially athletes and bodybuilders, take prohormones to :
- Build lean muscle mass
- Increase endurance level
- Improve overall performance
In order to help them to attain their athletic goals. They function the same way as steroids, but they aren't steroids and won't require heavy post cycle therapy.
As prohormones as they are, they can convert specific hormones to anabolic hormones causing androgenic, estrogenic, and progestogenic receptors. They are used as a sports supplement by weight lifters, athletes, and bodybuilders. Prohormones' effects depend on the compound used, but generally, prohormones improve your strength, stamina, and endurance.
How do they work?
Prohormones are made up of different kinds of steroids and are used for a variety of reasons. Some people take prohormones to build muscles, while others take it to lose weight. As the word "pro," it means, prohormones are precursors to the existing active hormones in the body. Generally, they increase the level of testosterone in men, boost the level of estrogen in women, and increase anabolism. Although it is packed with the good stuff, caution should be observed when taking prohormones, as they can cause an imbalance in cholesterol levels in the blood.
The effects of prohormones are short-term, which is why it is important to regularly observe diet and exercise should you wish to reap the maximum benefits. Prohormones are good at increasing the level of testosterone and so expect a massive boost in libido and mood swings while taking prohormones. Taking prohormones the right way along with a healthy lifestyle can significantly increase your lean muscle mass, help you lose fat quickly, and improves your body's endurance, strength, and stamina.
Are there any side effects?
Although prohormones are very good at helping your lean muscle mass growth and promote athletic endurance, they should be used with utmost care as they can severely dangerous when used the wrong way.
Some of the notable side effects while taking prohormones are :
- Acne flare-up
- Mood swings
- Shrinking of testicles
- Hair loss
- Lack of sexual motivation/lack of sexual libido
- Gynecomastia/enlargement of the breast in male
- Swelling of the prostate
Minimizing the side effects of prohormones
There are many ways to reduce the side effects of prohormones, and one of which is choosing the right prohormones product. Keep in mind that there are many types of prohormones supplements available in the market today, and not all of them are created equal. Some prohormones can help you put up some weight, which is a big help for underweight people.
Some prohormones can help you maintain weight and gain lean muscle mass. Always remember that every drug as its pros and cons, and you can always manage the side effects for as long as you choose the right product, and you use it with caution.
What to keep in mind?
- When taking prohormones, safety measures should always be observed. The precautions are the same as using steroids.
- Prohormones should only be taken by people 21 years and older.
- It shouldn't be used by children, pregnant, and lactating women.
- Some organizations ban the use of prohormones. Once detected in your body, you could be disqualified. It includes bodybuilding, powerlifting, and CrossFit federations. So, when joining such competitions, you have to perform due diligence to ensure that the product will not be detected in your system.
- Before taking prohormones, make sure you consult your primary care physician, especially if you have a family history of cardiac-related diseases, prostate cancer, or enlargement of the prostate. You should also consult your doctor if you are taking maintenance medications or taking any forms of dietary supplements.
- Make sure you use prohormones as directed by the manufacturer. Do not take more than the recommended dose, or you could experience severe side effects.
The majority of prohormones deliver more substantial results than SARMs and are comparable to that of anabolic steroids, although they are not as strong as anabolic steroids. With that being said, it is a must to observe all safety measures mentioned above to get the most of what prohormones can offer. Safety should always be the top priority. Buy the right prohormones product, and if in doubt, do not hesitate to consult your doctor.